The latest statistics from the Ministry of Social Development show that hotels and resorts are suffering the most as of Tuesday morning.
The statistics are compiled from the hotel survey conducted by Surabaya City.
Surabayas tourism director, Riza Abdulla, said that hotels are currently suffering the worst damage from typhoon Yolanda, while other hotels have experienced only minimal damage.
According to the statistics, there were around 6.6 million visitors to Surabayan from the Philippines in the week ending March 18, while 8.2 million visited the island.
Riza Abdella said that during this period, hotels and resort operators have been busy with a variety of activities including accommodation, transportation, and entertainment.
However, Abduella added that the worst of the damage has been inflicted on hotels, which has forced them to temporarily close and re-open their operations.
“Some hotels, such as the Shangri-La in the heart of Suraban, were shut down,” he said.
The Surabawan government has been monitoring the situation on the island of Surahawan and has announced a curfew on Tuesday at 5:00 a.m. local time (08:00 GMT).
“We have started a national mobilization in Surahawas tourism and health sector to ensure that every guest knows how to protect themselves and to stay safe during the typhoid season,” said a statement from the ministry.
Surabayan has been hit hard by the recent typhoon.
On March 14, a major typhoon hit the island, leaving over 1,400 people dead and nearly 1,000 missing.
In response to the severe storm, the Philippine National Police (PNP) announced a nationwide state of emergency on March 15, which extended the length of the curfew from Monday to Friday.
The government has also announced the extension of the state of alert from Thursday to April 1, with the proclamation to apply to all areas of the country, including Surabays capital, Manila.
Meanwhile, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (DRRRMC) is also extending the state-of-the-art emergency response plan (ERP) for the typhotrongbol (Typhoon Yoli), which is the worst natural disaster in the Philippines’ history.
During the past three years, over 4.3 million Filipinos have been evacuated from the affected areas, with an additional 6.2.
million affected in the aftermath of the typhon.
More than 1,100 people died and 1,200 were injured in the typhus pandemic.
Last week, the Philippines was declared a typhoon zone and the country has been placed on a state of mandatory evacuation.
A typhoon warning remains in effect for Surabyan, including the central provinces of Cavite and Visayas, where the typhoons peak in strength.
Authorities have warned that any travel to the areas where typhoons are forecast to strike will be strictly prohibited.
With the outbreak of typhoon, many travellers have been postponing their trips, even for the sake of staying hydrated, according to a recent survey by the Department of Tourism and Culture.
Many travellers are also delaying their plans for their vacation, such that the Philippine government is seeking public comments on the possibility of cancelling travel to Surakarta.
While the Philippines is one of the world’s top tourist destinations, the typhongbol has also affected the tourism industry in the island nation.
Budget airlines have been forced to cancel more than 4,000 flights and cancelled more than 2,500 non-stop flights in recent days.
On Monday, the PNP reported that over 7,000 people have died and 6,800 are missing in Surabanya.
Yolanda has devastated the tourist industry in Surakanda, with many resort and hotel owners reporting their worst days as the typhooeba has hit their resorts, including one that was the world headquarters of the resort chain, the Shangree Shangri.