FALLOWELE’S, Texas – An American tourist is dead and five people were infected with Ebola in Texas, the state’s health department said on Wednesday, adding that the hospital where he was treated also had the virus.

The man was identified as Thomas Eric Duncan, 50, of New York.

His condition was not immediately known.

The state health department reported that he was hospitalized on Wednesday morning and was later transferred to another facility.

The department said the man had visited the state capital, Austin, on March 8, about a week after returning from Liberia, where he had contracted the virus while working as a doctor in the city.

On March 10, the hospital notified health officials that Duncan had tested positive for the Ebola virus, prompting the state health agency to contact him and take him into isolation, it said.

It said he died the next day.

The state health officials said Duncan was not at the hospital that day.

Duncan was infected while working in Liberia, and two weeks later, he was infected in Dallas.

The Dallas hospital had been the first to isolate Duncan, the health department announced.

On Wednesday, the American Red Cross said it had opened a hospital-wide quarantine center for Americans at a hotel in Fayetteville, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) north of the capital, according to the Dallas Morning News.

The Red Cross is helping to coordinate the facility.

On Tuesday, Texas Gov.

Greg Abbott said the state was preparing for the possibility of additional infections as the country recovers from the Ebola outbreak.

The first person to be diagnosed with Ebola is expected to be in Dallas, Abbott said.

The American Red Crop Association is organizing a two-day event at the hotel on Friday to help residents and visitors who are at high risk.

The Associated Press reported on Wednesday that a Texas man who had been diagnosed with the virus was taken to an isolation unit in the Dallas hospital after coming in contact with a visitor.

He died of Ebola on Wednesday.